Just got a new pup!! ?

So, I just bought a new pup. Since it's sunday, no vets are open to get him checked out. But we are taking him first thing tomorrow. We named him Buddy. He is a mini Dachshund. My question is, what all do they check when you bring them into the vet for the first checkup?? He is already started on his shots, he already got started on his distemper and parvo and stuff. But I'm worried about my present dog, and the new pup meeting until he is checked out. Should I be so worried??? I'm even using sanatizer before touching each pet?? Am I just being a freak about it?? Also, he did go potty outside just a bit ago.
 

So, I just bought a new pup. Since it's sunday, no vets are open to get him checked out. But we are taking him first thing tomorrow. We named him Buddy. He is a mini Dachshund. My question is, what all do they check when you bring them into the vet for the first checkup?? He is already started on his shots, he already got started on his distemper and parvo and stuff. But I'm worried about my present dog, and the new pup meeting until he is checked out. Should I be so worried??? I'm even using sanatizer before touching each pet?? Am I just being a freak about it?? Also, he did go potty outside just a bit ago. His poo was half solid, half runny. Should I be worried? I know runny/bloody poo is a sign of parvo. But there was no blood, just half runny and half solid. We are trying to feed him now, but the place we got his from said he was eating just fine. Should I be so worried, or am I goin overboard. Only nice answers please! I will choose best answer! Thanks!!

 

Answer

 
 

On his first check up they will check his vitals. Weight, heart, eyes, ears, teeth feel his stomach etc. If your dog has its shots already there is no need to worry about the puppy passing bad things on to your first dog. So I think you can relax. If your other dog isn't UTD on his/her shots then I would keep the two seperated like you are. Since he is going to the vet tomorrow I wouldn't worry about the poo. When you first bring a puppy home they are stressed and can have runny poo for a little while. Just tell your vet about it and see what he thinks. If it lasts longer than a week take hime back to the vet. As you can tell from my default picture I too have a mini dachshund. (She is longhaired though.) Her name is Willow and when we brought her home she had runny poo for a week. Once she was used to her new home she stopped. I have some pointers for you as a fellow dachshund owner. I was afraid that willow would have an accident in my bed when I first got her so I made her sleep in her kennel at night. Although she cried I didn't let her out. After about 3 days she stopped crying, and it was the best thing I could have done, it made her potty training so much better because she didn't have a chance to potty in the house at night. I tell you this because my sister got a mini longhaired doxie this summer and she did not put him in his kennel at night. It was a big mistake. Even though she new how successful it was for me she didn't care, because the first night he cried a lot. So she let him out, and it ruined his night time kennel training. It caused him to have a ton of accidents at night, which is disgusting. So my advice is be very consistent, and don't give in to your new doxie if you are kennel training him. At night if he cries do not let him out or it will make the training a lot harder. Good luck with Buddy. i bet he is adorable! :)

 
 
read more

0 comments: