Need opinions on a PARVO outbreak....?


Alright, so recently my family adopted a dog (as we do sometimes) we had it for only a few days and noticed that it was not well. The little dog was throwing up EVERYTHING including water. And he had really bad diarrhea. We took him to the vet and our vet said that he had PARVO. Now, i've had dogs all my life and i've never heard of the diesase. My neighbor whos a breeder didn't even know!!!! My vet acted like it was no big deal, but when I got home I jumped online to research it.


 

Alright, so recently my family adopted a dog (as we do sometimes) we had it for only a few days and noticed that it was not well. The little dog was throwing up EVERYTHING including water. And he had really bad diarrhea. We took him to the vet and our vet said that he had PARVO. Now, i've had dogs all my life and i've never heard of the diesase. My neighbor whos a breeder didn't even know!!!! My vet acted like it was no big deal, but when I got home I jumped online to research it. The diesease sounds almost as bad as rabies! Once the adult dog is infected it has a 50/50 chance of surviving, and if it does live it will have health issues always. Puppies are at a more serious risk than adult and older dogs, and about 80% who have it will die. I was really upset, but we decided to give the dog back and demand a full refund. So, I guess my reason for posting this is to alert people about the diesease and also to be super careful and think twice before adopting. I'm also really mad that my vets and the company we adopted the dog from acted like this was no big deal, when it's highly contagious and deadly!!!! I won't post the name of the company for fear of being sued. Has anyone heard of this diesease before? If not, here's some of my sources: http://www.vetinfo4dogs.com/dparvo.html http://www.workingdogs.com/parvofaq.htm Also, does this situation sound farmiliar? Has anyone had similar problems? Why isn't this a big deal?!?!?! Thanks to everyone (except Nichole R.) for your stories and facts. I forgot to mention that i had also adopted 2 other dogs and i'm scared that they have this diesease so i spent a whole day bleaching everything. So what I did was smart. Nichole R. you are really dumb, because even if they do put the dog down, it won't suffer it's whole life and spread the diesease everywhere. The dog tested positive, therefore it has a 50/50 chance of surviving. I wish vets would treat this like they treat EIA(equine infectous anemia) in horses. Since it has no cure and hardly any prevention, if a horse has it and is reported must be euthanized or taken away and put into quarentine. I think they should do that in order to containe this disease. There you go Nichole R. I'm not sorry about what I did.

 

Answer

 
 

I'm really surprised that anyone involved in this would treat Parvo as 'no big deal'. As you found out, it IS a big deal, very contagious and more often than not deadly in puppies. It is unlikely to cause serious problems in older, vaccinated dogs but can literally wipe out a litter of little pups who haven't yet been given their shots. If you have any other dogs who haven't been vaccinated, it's very important that you watch them carefully for symptoms, and get them help immediately if they get sick. Animal rescue shelters and city pounds vaccinate their rescues against Parvo and the other common dog illnesses, but if a dog has been exposed PRIOR to the vaccination it won't be much help. I'm sorry that you went through the worry and heartbreak of dealing with this, but hope that it won't deter you from adopting in the future. So many dogs need a second chance. The links below contain a lot of information on dog illnesses, including Parvo, and all dog/puppy owners should be aware of what to look for in terms of symptoms. Immediate veterinary attention MAY save the life of a puppy with Parvo, without help they almost always die. Thanks for sharing your experiencing and alerting others to this problem.

 
 
read more

0 comments: