Okay. So, my dog got parvo...................?

When he was like 2 years old. A dog that had parvo had peed on a tree, then my dog (Tiger) licked the pee....a week later we started noticing parvo symptoms. Called the vet and he said if he only had a 20% chance of living, and he wouldn't have that if he didn't get treatment within the next 24 hours. So we got him in, and he (thank God) survived!! Now, he's 8 years old, almost 9, and he's fine...but I was wondering, could his Parvo be caused from him licking the urine of that other dog? That's how I think he got it, and why I never let him lick near poles or fire hydrants.
 

When he was like 2 years old. A dog that had parvo had peed on a tree, then my dog (Tiger) licked the pee....a week later we started noticing parvo symptoms. Called the vet and he said if he only had a 20% chance of living, and he wouldn't have that if he didn't get treatment within the next 24 hours. So we got him in, and he (thank God) survived!! Now, he's 8 years old, almost 9, and he's fine...but I was wondering, could his Parvo be caused from him licking the urine of that other dog? That's how I think he got it, and why I never let him lick near poles or fire hydrants....just to be safe. Also....do you think it's safe to let him lick? I don't think it is...but I want your opinion on this whole thing. Thanks. Don't be an idiot, of course I've had my dog vaccinated, duh, do I look like an irresponsible pet owner to you. Duh. Maybe it was when he was like 4 years old, who knows. I forget

 

Answer

 
 

Parvo is a puppy virus, plus he's arleady had it. The vet lied had more than 20% chance of living. I've nursed 3 dogs through parvo

 
 
read more

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Getting him vaccinated and staying up to date will prevent it from ever happening. Also, depending on the vet you talk to, after getting over parvo, the dog is immune to the virus anywhere from as low as 2 years or for life. Kind of like humans and chicken pox. Get it 3 times and you usually can't get it again!

Some dogs can still get parvo even if vaccinated but that's usually the case with very young puppies. My 11 month old Doberman is currently getting over parvo. Lucky I caught it early and was able to do something about it. $85 later and some pedialyte, we're on the track to success after only 2 days. I got him only 6 days ago so he had it before I got him. He hadn't had any shots and animal control had ordered the couple I got him from to find him a home where he would be taken care of correctly or they would have to surrender the dog. He's a sweetheart and we're getting through this.