A Few Questions About Parvo?

My dog just died of Parvo (12 week old rottweiler puppy!) We thought we caught it early enough, took him to the vet they injected like water or something in his back (it made him look like a camel) they said that it would soak into his body and help him with the dehydration. they also gave him something would coat his intestines to help with it or something i don't really know the whole thing....but i have A LOT of questions that I was hoping that someone could answer.... 1. What is the best treatments or parvo? I know that there is no cure but did my vet miss something or is there something more that he could have done? 2.
 

My dog just died of Parvo (12 week old rottweiler puppy!) We thought we caught it early enough, took him to the vet they injected like water or something in his back (it made him look like a camel) they said that it would soak into his body and help him with the dehydration. they also gave him something would coat his intestines to help with it or something i don't really know the whole thing....but i have A LOT of questions that I was hoping that someone could answer.... 1. What is the best treatments or parvo? I know that there is no cure but did my vet miss something or is there something more that he could have done? 2. Is it true that rottweilers have bad immune systems? 3. If a dog gets parvo, can it get it again? Or is it like us when we get a virus where you can get it if it's a different strain? 4. My sister said that parvo is kind of like a humans version of the ebola virus, is that true? 5. A friend of mine couldn't afford the puppy so i took him off of his hands...when i received him i didn't know that he had only had 1 of those 3 shots that they are supposed to get when they are puppies. If he had been up to date on his shots...would the puppy still have received parvo if he had been up to date on his shots? I ask that because I will sue him (if i can) for letting the puppy get 2 shots behind and not telling me about it... anyway...thanks for the help....

 

Answer

 
 

1) Usually intravenous fluids and intravenous antibiotics are required (getting put on a drip). Your dog was given fluids under the skin to help his dehydration. This does not get absorbed as efficiently as intravenous fluids. 2) Not that I've heard. Immunity is not breed-specific. 3) Never sure about this one actually, I think it depends on a variety of factors e.g. strain caught, age of dog, severity of infection etc. I THINK if a dog survives parvo he would have immunity to it for a while but it would not last forever. 4) No the parvo virus is not related to the Ebola virus. 5) If the dog had had his full set of shots he would have been unlikely to get parvo. Chalice

 
 
read more

0 comments: