My young dog suddenly died, why?


i had a 17 month old american foxhound mix(with what we don't know). I adopted her 3 months ago from the human society. She had three stomach parasites when i got her, i found out about a month and a half later, she was treated for them. Everyday for the last 10 days or so she would hop the fence and go play with my next door neighbors dog. She was happy, playful and completely normal. Yesterday morning, I got up at 7, and she was still in her crate.


 

i had a 17 month old american foxhound mix(with what we don't know). I adopted her 3 months ago from the human society. She had three stomach parasites when i got her, i found out about a month and a half later, she was treated for them. Everyday for the last 10 days or so she would hop the fence and go play with my next door neighbors dog. She was happy, playful and completely normal. Yesterday morning, I got up at 7, and she was still in her crate. I left her in there for a little bit, got her food ready, started coffee and went into the living room for something when i heard her banging around in her cage, i thought she was trying to tell me that she was ready to go outside. So i went to get her out and she couldnt stand. She had no muscle control. She was flopping like a fish trying to get out of her cage, so I helped her and tried to help her stand, she still couldnt. So i picked her up and carried her outside. I noticed she had a lot of foam in her mouth. That went away about twenty minutes later. She continued to flop over to the fence that borders my neighbor with the dog. I called my neighbor and she gave me the number to a 24 hour vet. They said it was probably a seizure and she would be back to normal within 45 minutes. This all started around 730 am. My neighbor came and got her around 830 and brought my dog over to her house so she could watch my dog while i went into work. I was gone 1 1/2 hours. I called her around 1045 and she told me that my dog was getting worse. She wasnt foaming but her tongue was hanging out(she couldnt keep it in her mouth), she still couldnt walk or stand, still no muscle control. I decided I would take her back to humane society. She didnt need to suffer anymore. So i got home around 11 from work, my neighbor and I got my dog in the back of my car. I sat back there with her to keep her calm. Her tongue was still hanging out, her eyes kept rolling back and what looked like an inner eyelid kept coming up over her eye. She was breathing really really heavy(like she had just ran around for hours) and she was really really warm, i was sweating just being next to her. The workers at the humane society came out to the car and got her and as they were carrying her in, she was pooping and didnt know it. She was put down(I didnt see it, i said my goodbyes to her while we were in the car and my bf was inside talking to them). She was perfectly healthy when i got up yesterday morning and about 20 minutes later she was dying. If anyone can tell me how, I greatly appreciate it, I have heard it sounds like parvo but i know thats not it. Thank you so much! please dont be cruel, i just lost my dog and I miss her. I loved her. I took good care of her too.

 

Answer

 
 

Sounds like it could have been an aneurysm like my dog had. I had a Plott Hound mix that had the same symptoms before he passed and he was only 3. We (us and the vet) had thought he was just eplieptic - as Hounds can have canine epilepsy) but they were seizures leading up to an aneurysm (we found out after his death) There is nothing you could have done and no way you could have known prior, so there is no need to beat yourself up over this. You did the best you could do. Sorry for your loss.................

 
 
read more

0 comments: